SCUBAswim3 is SWIM SKILLS & WATER SAFETY PROGRAM for Certified Recreational SCUBA Divers
- Essential swim & water safety skills
- Ideal for those with basic swim skills or those who may want to review basic swim skills
- Ideal for certified recreational divers who want to review swim skills
- Format: Three 2 1/2 hour swim skills clinics and agreement to practice skills independently beyond participation in this program
Is SCUBAswim3 for you?
- Participants offered instruction on essential swim & water safety skills relevant to scuba diving
- Participants wish to gain more confidence and comfort in water in order to enjoy every scuba diving experience
- Participants at this level have basic breath control skills, are comfortable in water and able to completely submerge body underwater
- Program includes instruction on surface survival swims as well as conservation-minded swim techniques that can help to preserve fragile aquatic environments
- Program taught without using scuba gear
- This is a fast-paced information packed program that may include time for individual instruction to address individual needs
- Participants should be in good health. Consult with your health care provider before registering in this fast-paced program
- In order to show progress, participants agree to practice on their own beyond participation in this swim program
- Private swim lessons are also available and can be custom-designed to suit your specific needs
- Can take place at your home pool, dive shop pool or rented pool space at an aquatic center with management approval
Who teaches SCUBAswim3?
- Program taught by a a certified SCUBAswim instructor who is an experienced WSI (Water Safety Instructor) who is also a certified scuba diver
Does the instructor teach in the pool?
- Whether lessons are taught by your instructor from the pool deck or whether the instructor enters the pool is decided by your instructor. Ask your instructor before scheduling lessons
How is SCUBAswim3 taught?
- SCUBAswim3 is taught in three 2.5 hour sessions (more sessions may be needed, depending on each participant's ability to learn and perform skills)
- Follows a structured lesson plan as a guideline and may offer time for personal instruction for each participant (time permitting)
SAMPLE BLOCK & LESSON PLAN:
Example private lesson schedule: Three Saturdays, 12:00-2:30pm
LESSON 1) Skills assessment, breath control essentials, buoyancy essentials, propulsion efficiency essentials, glides, horizontal to vertical/vertical to horizontal position (prone & supine), body side rotation (back to front & front to back), kicking basics (swimmer's flutter & frog vs scuba-specific mod. flutter & mod. frog kicking for divers), elementary backstroke (supine open water survival swim), personalized instruction & swim drills
Optional: tread water or float for 5 minutes, Endurance 1 (65 meter/yard lap swim for fitness, mask & fins optional)
LESSON 2) Review, new skills assessment, front crawl/freestyle & breaststroke arm techniques (surface swim arm strokes), review horizontal/vertical position & body rotation (back to front & front to back), front crawl body roll fundamentals (to increase efficiency & reduce fatigue during long surface swims, head in water for efficiency & head out of water for sight line towards boat/land for long surface swims), "finning" arms & sculling arm strokes (supine open water survival swims), survival float (prone position, to save physical energy while waiting to be found/rescued), personalized instruction & swim drills (time permitting)
Optional: tread water or float for 7.5 minutes, Endurance 2 (100 meter/yard lap swim for fitness, mask & fins optional)
LESSON 3) Review, new skills assessment, importance of efficient arm stroke techniques to aid in propulsion if diver unable to use one or both legs (ex: legs fatigued or leg cramp), scissors kick and/or rotary kick introduced if appropriate, survival float + survival swim, treading (frog kick, scissors or rotary kick + sculling arm movement), underwater swimming essentials, personalized instruction & swim drills (time permitting)
Optional: tread water or float for 10 minutes, Endurance 3 (200 meter/yard lap swim for fitness, mask & fins optional)
Next step: Commit to a healthy lifestyle. If you haven't already done so, find a regular fitness routine that works for you, including healthy food choices and stress management techniques for health & wellness. For more on this, check out DAN's Smart Guide to Safe Diving.
- Water Safety topics introduced as appropriate or as requested
- Block plan & lesson plans above is/are an example only - all group and private lessons are customized to meet participant needs
- Dive gear NOT USED during this swim training (no BC/BCD, cylinder or regulator)
* THIS IS A SWIM LESSON PROGRAM
* THIS IS NOT A SCUBA CERTIFICATION COURSE
Essential swim & water safety skills (scuba-specific). Ideal for certified scuba divers who want to review or maintain open water swim & water safety skills.
SCUBAswim offers three levels - which is for you?
Fundamental swim skills lessons (scuba-specific). Non-swimmer to beginner level. Ideal for those with little to no swim skills who would like to take a scuba course sometime in the future.
Because a BC is not a PFD
Basic swim & water safety skills (scuba-specific). Ideal for scuba course participants. Learn or review swim skills to help you pass a recreational scuba course swim skills test with ease.