Basic swim & water safety skills. Ideal for scuba course participants. Learn or refresh swim skills to help you pass a recreational scuba course swim skills test more comfortably.
SCUBAswim offers three levels - which is for you?
Fundamental swim skills lessons. Beginner level. Ideal for those with little swim skills who would like to take a scuba course sometime in the future.
SCUBAswim3 is SWIM SKILLS & WATER SAFETY PROGRAM - ESSENTIAL swim & water safety skills for those with basic swim skills
- Ideal for recreational scuba diving enthusiasts who want to review/refresh swim skills, gain more comfort & confidence in water or maintain their fitness level
- Format: Two 2-hour swim skills clinics and agreement to practice skills independently beyond participation in this program
Is SCUBAswim3 for you?
- Prerequisite: A sports physical is required before beginning SCUBAswim3 (a "sports physical" is an exam performed by the participants chosen physician)
- Participants at this level have basic breath control skills, are able to completely submerge entire body underwater, can float, and swim 25 meters continuously
- Participants bring their own pair of swim goggles. We suggest wearing a one-piece bathing suit (women), jammers or swim trunks (men), rashguard/sun shirt ok
- Participants should be in good health. Consult with your health care provider before registering in this fast-paced program
- In order to show progress, participants agree to practice on their own beyond participation in this swim program
Who teaches SCUBAswim3?
- Program taught by a certified SCUBAswim℠ instructor who is also a certified scuba diver (Rescue Diver at minimum)
Does the instructor teach in the pool?
- Whether lessons are taught by your instructor from the pool deck or whether the instructor enters the pool is decided by your instructor. Ask your instructor before scheduling lessons
How is SCUBAswim3 taught?
- Follows a structured lesson plan as a guideline and offers time for personal instruction for each participant (time permitting)
- Program taught without using dive gear (no BCD/BC, tank/cylinder, weight belt, regulator, wetsuit, etc.)
- Lessons can take place at your dive shop pool or your rented pool space at an aquatic center (with approval from the aquatic center management)
SAMPLE BLOCK & LESSON PLAN:
Example SCUBAswim3 schedule: Two 2-hour swim skills clinics (or 2-day workshop)
SCUBAswim3 Part A
00:00 Breath control essentials, basic skills assessment
00:15 Surface buoyancy essentials, survival float (prone position, stationary, saves physical energy while waiting to be rescued in open water when not donning dive gear)
00:30 Hydrodynamics essentials, Law of Levers, glides, horizontal to vertical & vice versa positions, body side rotation (rolling prone to supine and supine to prone)
00:45 Kicking efficiency essentials (swimmer's flutter & frog vs. the more appropriate modified flutter & modified frog kick for divers/when wearing fins)
01:00 Treading water essentials or refresher (sculling arm movement and frog kick or rotary/egg-beater kick introduced if appropriate)
01:15 Elementary backstroke (supine open water survival swim, efficient low energy swim, can be used to swim to safety when not wearing dive gear)
01:30 Personalized instruction, swim skill drills, optional: tread water for 5-minutes and Endurance 3A (continuous 100 meter lap swim, mask & fins optional)
01:45 Water safety topic: Chain of Drowning Prevention (inspired by the American Red Cross)
SCUBAswim3 Part B
00:00 Breath control practice, skills review, new skills assessment
00:15 Surface survival swim (prone position, propelling the body forward through water, saving physical energy while attempting to move toward safety)
00:30 Law of Levers review, front crawl body roll essentials (to increase efficiency & reduce fatigue, head in water for efficiency & head out of water for sight line toward safety/boat/land for short or long surface swims)
00:45 Kicking efficiency essentials review
01:00 Treading review, scissors kick introduced (sculling arm movement and frog kick, rotary kick and scissors kick)
01:15 Underwater swimming essentials, swimming underwater and retrieving submerged objects with and without swim goggles (no dive masks)
01:30 Personalized instruction, swim skill drills, optional: tread water for 10-minutes and Endurance 3B (continuous 200 meter lap swim, no mask or fins encouraged)
01:45 Water safety topics: Chain of Drowning Survival and Reach or Throw, Don't Go (inspired by the American Red Cross)
* Block plan & lesson plans above are examples - all group and private lessons are customized to meet participant needs
* SCUBAswim℠ IS A SWIM LESSON PROGRAM
* SCUBAswim℠ IS NOT A SCUBA CERTIFICATION COURSE
* Dive gear NOT USED during this swim lesson program
* We offer swim instruction only. Improved swim skills after participation in this program not guaranteed. Results depend on participant's efforts to improve.
* Medical clearance from your physician in order to participate in this program may be requested and required at any time
Next step: Commit to a healthy lifestyle. If you haven't already done so, find a regular fitness routine that works for you, including healthy food choices and stress management techniques for health & wellness. For more on this, check out DAN's Smart Guide to Safe Diving.
Essential swim & water safety skills . Ideal for certified scuba diving enthusiasts who want to refresh or maintain open water swim & water safety skills.
Because a BC is not a PFD