SCUBAswim2 is a SWIM SKILLS & WATER SAFETY PROGRAM - BASIC swim & water safety skills for those with fundamental swim skills
- Ideal for recreational scuba diver course participants who want to strengthen fundamental swim skills and gain more comfort & confidence in water
- Format: Two 2-hour swim skills clinics and agreement to practice skills independently beyond participation in this program
Is SCUBAswim2 for you?
- Prerequisite: A sports physical is required before beginning SCUBAswim2 (a "sports physical" is an exam performed by the participants chosen physician)
- Participants at this level have fundamental breath control skills, are able to completely submerge entire body, can float and swim 25 meters continuously
- Participants must bring their own pair of swim goggles & wear a one-piece bathing suit (women), jammers or swim trunks (men), rashguard/sun shirt ok
- Participants should be in good health. Consult with your health care provider before registering in this fast-paced program
- In order to show progress, participants agree to practice on their own beyond participation in this swim program
Who teaches SCUBAswim2?
- Program taught by a certified SCUBAswim℠ instructor who is also a certified scuba diver (Rescue Diver at minimum)
Does the instructor teach in the pool?
- Whether lessons are taught by your instructor from the pool deck or whether the instructor enters the pool is decided by your instructor. Ask your instructor before scheduling lessons
How is SCUBAswim2 taught?
- Follows a structured lesson plan as a guideline and offers time for personal instruction for each participant (time permitting)
- Program taught without using dive gear (no BCD/BC, tank/cylinder, weight belt, regulator, etc.)
- Lessons can take place at your dive shop pool or your rented pool space at an aquatic center (with approval from the aquatic center management)
SAMPLE BLOCK & LESSON PLAN:
Example SCUBAswim2 schedule: Two 2-hour swim skills clinics (or 2-day workshop)
SCUBAswim2 Part A
00:00 Breath control basics, basic skills assessment
00:15 Surface buoyancy basics
00:30 Law of Levers, glides, horizontal to vertical & vice versa positions, body side rotation (rolling prone to supine and supine to prone)
00:45 Kicking efficiency basics (swimmer's flutter kick & frog kick)
01:00 Treading water basics (sculling arm movement and frog kick)
01:15 Elementary backstroke (open water survival swim, can be used to swim to safety)
01:30 Personalized instruction, swim skill drills, optional: tread water for 5-minutes and Endurance 2A (100 meter lap swim, mask & fins optional)
01:45 Water safety topic: Chain of Drowning Prevention (inspired by the American Red Cross)
SCUBAswim2 Part B
00:00 Breath control practice, skills review, new skills assessment
00:15 Surface survival swim (prone position, propelling the body forward through water, saving physical energy while attempting to move toward safety)
00:30 Law of Levers review, front crawl body roll essentials (to increase efficiency & reduce fatigue)
00:45 Kicking efficiency basics review, scissors kick introduced
01:00 Treading review, scissors kick introduced (sculling arm movement with frog kick or scissors kick)
01:15 Underwater swimming essentials, swimming underwater and retrieving submerged objects with and without swim goggles (no dive masks)
01:30 Personalized instruction, optional: tread water for 10-minutes and Endurance 2B (continuous 200 meter lap swim, no mask or fins encouraged)
01:45 Water safety topics: Chain of Drowning Survival and Reach or Throw, Don't Go (inspired by the American Red Cross)
* Water Safety topics introduced as appropriate or as requested
* Block plan & lesson plans above are examples - all group and private lessons are customized to meet participant needs
* SCUBAswim℠ IS A SWIM LESSON PROGRAM
* SCUBAswim℠ IS NOT A SCUBA CERTIFICATION COURSE
* Dive gear NOT USED during this swim lesson program
* We offer swim instruction only. Improved swim skills after participation in this program not guaranteed. Results depend on participant's efforts to improve.
* Medical clearance from your physician in order to participate in this program may be requested and required at any time)
Next step: SCUBAswim3
SCUBAswim offers three levels - which is for you?
Fundamental swim skills lessons. Beginner level. Ideal for those with little swim skills who would like to take a scuba course sometime in the future.
Basic swim & water safety skills. Ideal for scuba course participants. Learn or refresh swim skills to help you pass a recreational scuba course swim skills test more comfortably.
Essential swim & water safety skills . Ideal for certified scuba diving enthusiasts who want to refresh or maintain open water swim & water safety skills.
Because a BC is not a PFD