SCUBAswim1 is a SWIM SKILLS & WATER SAFETY PROGRAM for BEGINNER SWIMMERS with little swim skills
Prerequisite: participants must be able to go underwater comfortably & become buoyant while performing a tuck float during the first lesson
- A sports physical is required before beginning SCUBAswim1 (a "sports physical" is an exam performed by the participants chosen physician)
- Fundamental swim & water safety skills instruction - relevant to the needs of those who want to snorkel and/or scuba dive sometime in the future
- SCUBAswim1 is offered as private or semi-private swim lessons only
Is SCUBAswim1 for you?
- Participants are offered instruction on fundamental swim & water safety skills relevant to snorkeling and scuba diving
- Participants may wish to gain confidence and comfort in water in order to better enjoy future snorkeling and/or scuba diving experiences
- Participants at this level have minimal breath control skills, might get water in their nose consistently or might plug nose with fingers
- Participants must agree to practice the skills they are taught on their own beyond participation in this program
- Participants must sign a medical waiver. Always consult with a qualified health care practitioner before registering in this or any swim/exercise program
- Number of swim lessons it will take to swim depends on participant's efforts. We do not guarantee participants will swim in five lessons
Who teaches SCUBAswim1?
- Program taught by a certified SCUBAswim℠ instructor who is also an experienced certified recreational diver (Rescue Diver at minimum)
Does the instructor teach in the pool?
- Whether lessons are taught by your instructor from the pool deck or whether the instructor enters the pool is decided by your instructor. Ask your instructor before scheduling lessons
How is SCUBAswim1 taught?
- SCUBAswim1 is taught in five 60-minute lessons, because there is no substitute for time in the water (More lessons may be needed, depending on participant's ability to learn and perform skills)
- This information packed five-lesson session generally follows the participant’s pace. However, participants will likely require more than five lessons in order to achieve criteria required to move on to SCUBAswim2 (basic swim skills)
- Follows a block plan and individual lesson plans as a guideline, but is also customized to meet specific needs of participants
- Program taught without use of dive gear
SAMPLE BLOCK & LESSON PLAN:
Example private lesson schedule: Five 60-minute lessons
SWIM LESSON 1)
Skills assessment, breath control fundamentals, buoyancy fundamentals, propulsion efficiency fundamentals, glides, horizontal to vertical/vertical to horizontal position, kicking fundamentals (flutter vs mod. flutter kick for divers), elementary backstroke (open water survival swim)
SWIM LESSON 2)
Review, new skills assessment, front crawl/freestyle arm techniques (surface swim arm stroke), horizontal/vertical position review, body rotation (back to front & front to back), body roll fundamentals for front crawl (to reduce fatigue, head in for efficiency & out of water for sight line towards boat for long surface swims)
SWIM LESSON 3)
Review, new skills assessment, kicking (flutter kick review + frog kick vs mod. frog kick for divers introduced), surface swim arm strokes (incl. front crawl & elementary backstroke review + breaststroke & sculling arm techniques introduced), importance of efficient arm stroke techniques to aid in propulsion if diver unable to use one or both legs (ex: legs fatigued or leg cramp)
SWIM LESSON 4)
Review, treading water basics (using frog kick + sculling arm movement), arm strokes (review + survival swim technique using "finning" arm movements), kicking (review + intro to scissors kick), lap swimming introduced (for a scuba swim skills assessment)
SWIM LESSON 5)
Review, survival float + survival swim, treading (scissors or frog kick, sculling arm movement, rotary kick introduced if appropriate), underwater swimming basics, lap swimming (to prepare for a scuba swim skills assessment in the future)
* Water Safety topics introduced as appropriate or as requested
* Block plan & lesson plans above are examples - all group and private lessons are customized to meet participant needs
* SCUBAswim℠ IS A SWIM LESSON PROGRAM
* SCUBAswim℠ IS NOT A SCUBA CERTIFICATION COURSE
* Dive gear NOT USED during this swim lesson program
* We offer swim instruction only. Improved swim skills after participation in this program not guaranteed. Results depend on participant's efforts to improve.
* Medical clearance from your physician in order to participate in this program may be requested and required at any time)
Next step: SCUBAswim2
Essential swim & water safety skills . Ideal for certified scuba diving enthusiasts who want to refresh or maintain open water swim & water safety skills.
Because a BC is not a PFD
Basic swim & water safety skills. Ideal for scuba course participants. Learn or refresh swim skills to help you pass a recreational scuba course swim skills test more comfortably.
SCUBAswim℠ offers three levels - which one is for you?
Fundamental swim skills lessons. Beginner level. Ideal for those with little swim skills who would like to take a scuba course sometime in the future.